Monday, July 15, 2013

"Neapolitan" Style Margherita Pizza!

There's not a whole lot in this world I like more than Neapolitan style pizza.  The bubbly crust, the melted rounds of Mozzarella. Oh my goodness my mouth is watering already.  My favorite spot in Minnesota for this treat is at Punch Pizza (if you haven't been there, stop what you are doing and go! go right now!) If you can't make it there, or like me are trying to save some money, then try this version at home. I came up with this quick "homemade" version by using things I had on had and needed to use up. Plain Tandoori Naan from Trader Joes for the crust, tomatoes from the farmer's market, basil from my basil plant and Mozzarella rounds I had leftover from a Caprese salad I made earlier in the week.

Ingredients:
Trader Joe's Tandoori Naan (in the frozen food section)
Tomato- sliced
Fresh basil 
Fresh mozzarella ball, cut in rounds
garlic- thinly sliced
olive oil
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes (optional)

Set oven to 400 degrees, Drizzle a little olive oil on frozen naan and heat in the oven on an ungreased cookie sheet for about 30-45 seconds, just to warm it up a little.
Take out of oven and place slices of tomatoes and garlic on top of the naan. 
Sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper on top of the tomatoes
Layer Mozarella on top
Place basil leaves on top of the Mozzarella
Drizzle a little more olive oil and top with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes (if using)
Turn oven to "broil" and place pizzas on the middle rack for about 10-15 mins.  
Watch carefully and take out when the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.

I ate two of these little pizzas and liked them so much I made them again 2 days later!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment