Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mixing "High" and "Low" Fashion

Are you like me? Do you hate it when magazines and stylists on TV complement a star on mixing "high" and "low" fashion and then when they break down the pieces the "low" fashion is a "bargain" at $300?! Or they spent $75 on a T-shirt?!

I am a bargain shopper. In other words I almost NEVER pay full price for anything when it comes to clothes, but I like high quality things that last a while.  I like to spend a little bit more on shoes, bags, coats if they will last me 5-10 years.  So I mix higher end (by this I mean J Crew not Chanel) and lower end (think Target and thrift/consignment stores) in order to achieve a put together look that won't destroy my wallet but also won't fall apart after a year.  If you buy only cheap things and end up replacing them in a year you'll spend more in the long run than if you buy one quality item that lasts longer.   Example, when I was a junior in high school (10 years ago!) my sister and I went shopping for boots.  I got a pair of Antonio Melani boots which at 50% off, still cost me $110.  My sister, not wanting to spend that much bought a pair of cheap brown boots for $20.  I still have my boots, which I wear all the time and continue to get compliments on while my sister has gone through multiple different pairs spending $200 over the course of the same 10 year span. Sometimes it's worth seeking out those deals and spending a bit more for a high quality item. BUT that's the whole point of actually mixing "high" and "low" fashion pieces!



Left:
Shoes- Target, $29.99
Dress- Forever 21, $9 end of summer sale
Sweater- Banana Republic, $19 on sale
Purse- J Crew, $140 everything 50% off on cyber monday sale plus I had a coupon
Scarf- hand me down, $0
"Headband"- thrift store, $1 I wish you could see it better in the picture, it's an old tie with a great           pattern that I found at a thrift store.

TOTAL $198.99 (without the purse it's only $58 for the whole outfit!)

Right:
Boots: DSW, $79 with $20 off coupon and they're designer!
Skinny Jeans: Wet Seal, $19
Shirt: Target: $10 on sale
Purse: same as above

TOTAL $248 ($108 without the purse)

Disclaimer: I'm planning on doing many posts about saving money on clothes while still having a pulled together fashion forward look so I guarantee there will be better examples, better pictures, and better outfits than the ones here, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. You know?

2 comments:

  1. How do you find/get your coupons!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! If you have a favorite store, be sure to "like" or follow them on social networks like Facebook and Twitter. They often post discount codes online via their facebook pages. J Crew is a great example of this, they put 25% off plus free shipping up online rather regularly.

    Also, join incentive programs (as long as they're free of course!). Lots of companies, like DSW have a member rewards program. It is free to join and you accumulate points for the purchases you make which once you reach a certain number of points gives you $10 off coupons which you can combine with other offers!

    Also by getting on store email/mailing lists they will usually send you a birthday "gift" in the way of a discount code or coupon that way you can make that birthday money go a little further!

    I also always head straight to the sale section of stores, I won't even look at the regularly priced items, if I don't see it I can't fall in love with it!

    ReplyDelete